buy sudstress

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Inman Park Festival: Day 1

Inman Park Festival, Day 1:

I worked Friday night but actually got home in time to get about two hours of sleep before heading to set up.  I ended up getting there around 7:30 a.m. with plenty of time to unload and set up before the official 11 a.m. opening time.  The weather held up pretty well with a mid-day sprinkle and the heavy stuff waited until Stephanie and I were carrying arm-fulls of product back to my car at around 7 p.m.  

I've done so few festivals that it still surprises me as to what I encounter as a vendor.  You'd think with all of the time I've put in behind a bar that I've seen and heard it all, but I think as someone whose hard work, time, energy, effort, creativity, heart and soul are all laid out in a cute display for all to judge puts me in a more vulnerable frame of mind.  Almost everyone that walked by made a comment about my soap cake if they didn't stop to sniff or look more closely at it.  I mean.. even I'm impressed by it.. 

My display before the start of the festival:




I saw some really funny things:  a pre-teen with a sweet, sweet rat tail; the most severe camel toe I've ever seen in person; a guy picking his nose at the corner of my tent with no thought as to who might see; a guy with the fly of his camouflage shorts held together with a couple of blue diaper pins; the hairiest shoulder blades with no surrounding body hair.

The most exciting parade.  Ever.  ..and it paused right in front of my tent, repeatedly.  Witness:

Marching Band of the Abominables
Hollis Gillespie!!! She's a regular commentator on NPR's All Things Considered and the author of a hilarious column in Atlanta's free weekly paper Creative Loafing and one of my favorite books Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch.  I learned that her newest book is called Trailer Trashed.  I can't wait to read it.


A dude on stilts.
Tubas!

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin.

The Tooth Fairy!
Sweet dragons dancing by students of Kung Fu.

A spine which was missing four bones as I was informed by my friend Heather, who is a doctor, so she should know, despite the sangria in her hand...
Some sweet electric cars



I know it seems like it was all about the parade, but that was the only opportunity I had to take pictures as I was pretty steady all day.  Black Raspberry, Lavender Aromatherapy and Mint Meditation were the big sellers.  A ton of my friends came out to support me, which was really awesome.  I slept like a rock Saturday night.  I found myself conflicted on Day 2 as I had a leaky tent and the rain returned threatening my product.  I'll fill you in with pictures and details in my next blog - probably tomorrow.  I'm tired (still) and need to go to sleep.

No comments: