buy sudstress

Monday, April 19, 2010

Move over John Hughes of 1987.

 **Note:  please scroll down and pause the music from a previous post if you need to before reading this.  You will want to press play on the music in this post after reading.  Sorry for the inconvenience ;) **


As much as I love Bon Iver, I had to replace its spot on the one album play list of my life with something more upbeat in an effort to help me continue to move towards the light.  I've been doing well, with minor setbacks here and there.  A nice Irish lad with whom I've been spending some time lately gave me a cd by a band called The Temper Trap.  You may know them from their song on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack, but another song 'Fader' has caught my attention.  It's got a sound byte that reminds me of Little Red Corvette, but upon closer inspection, I've found that it is not the same as I had originally thought.  It does have a 1987 flare to it.

Dig if you will the picture:

A crowd of hostile old people who just can't relate to today's youth sits in a high school auditorium awaiting the annual talent show.  Meanwhile, backstage is a group of four guys who have formed a band, waiting to perform for their disapproving parents.  One main guy in particular has had it rough.  His dad thinks he's wasting his time, money and potential and they've fought viciously about it; his mother is worried about what will become of her son and they both sit in the audience scowling and anxious, respectively.

The curtain rises and the band starts playing with a tension visible in their eyes.  As they play, the camera cuts to a row of feet in the audience and a few of them begin tapping.  Slowly but surely, you see fingers tapping, heads bobbing to the beat...   they're winning the audience over.  The kid's parents are resistant.  They see the audience enjoying their son's music but don't want to concede.  Finally, at the reprise or coda or refrain, whatever it's called, the parents give in and admit through their expressions that their son's desire to entertain has been validated and they accept his choice and direction in life.  The music keeps playing as you see the son and the parents embrace after a nervous look from the son and the screen freezes and credits roll.

I could totally have bee a teen dramedy director in the late '80s if I had been an adult with the right music in hand...




No comments: